Countdown to Alpe d'Huez - 7 weeks to go

Week Ending - May 18th 2008 ........................................................................... Miles to date:- 4596

Monday Morning Stats:- Weight 11 stone 0 pounds ................................................. Resting Heart Rate 52


A hot sunny morning but after yesterday's exertions on my mountain bike and a higher than normal pulse rate I decided to do a recovery ride which proved to be a leisurely and very enjoyable 52 mile saunter through the Bucks and Berks countryside.

Tuesday was a rest day as I went to Ian Pool's funeral. It was very well attended and 7 members of our old cycling club Uxbridge Wheelers managed to get there. Ian's wife Daphne displayed some photos of us taken over 47 years ago, yes we have all changed a bit but are still recognisable. A sad day but many pleasant memories were exchanged.

A cool and windy Wednesday so I decided on an easy ride through the Chilterns, went up quite a few hills but never over exerted myself. It was good coming home with a strong tailwind and I covered 52 miles in total. Had a very good write up in this week's edition of the Uxbridge Gazette, I sure look good in my picture. I will have to get a copy and publish on here. Wednesday evening I went out on the social mountain bike ride with my clubmates. We had a 22 mile ride to Black Park and back, off road most of the time and we also did 2 circuits of the course for the mountain bike races being held on June 8th. It was a pleasant change.

A disappointing Thursday, went to the circuit for the training session but soon punctured, the circuit was covered in grit after today's rain. Decided to call it a day after 10 miles and went home and fitted a compact chainset on my bike in readiness for the mountains. It will also be useful for the ride I am doing on May 24th, the 5 Dales 100 mile Challenge which has two 1 in 3 hills in the last 40 miles.

A surprisingly cold Friday morning so I had to dig out some of my winter kit that I had put away. Just six of us made it to the circuit, Brian Tad, Brian Moon, Jim, John and a lady. We did quite a lot of quick laps but towards the end Brian Moon and I bored John a little (he is a youngster, just in his forties) with our reminiscing about time trialing in the 1960's! By the time I arrived home I had managed another 55 miles. In the evening I started to distribute my flyers and a short note to my neighbours in the hope of increasing my sponsorship. Only managed 3 houses so far, there was a lot to chat about and Inna made an instant donation. Thankyou Inna.

Another donation on Saturday, this time from my neighbours David and Margaret. There are only 12 houses in our close, we have lived there for 37 years but 4 others have lived there longer. David and Margaret are one of those couples. David is keen on cycling, he was a member of the Uxbridge Wheelers before me but ill health has prevented him getting in as many miles as he hoped after retirement. Their generosity is appreciated.

Weekly Totals:- Miles:- 192.0 Time:- 12 hrs 15 mins 10 secs

No comments: