The final countdown!

Week Ending - July 5th 2008 ........................................................................... Miles to date:- 6034

The week started well with donations from former work colleagues from IAL and BT raising the total amount sponsored to over £3,000. A big thank you to Catherine, Mike, Fionuala and Chris.

The bike riding did not go too well, Alan took me on one of his favourite rides and I struggled up the 17 mile long hill! Alan flew up it and he soon disappeared into the distance. I enjoyed the descent but Alan was not so lucky as he made contact with the road after another rider cut him up. The only plus side was that his bike and kit were not damaged and the grazes will soon mend.

An update on Alan, he was cut up by a van not a cyclist, grazes are mending but his thumb is still swollen.

A 26 mile ride in the mountains today, still not feeling my best but I am hoping my form will improve by Saturday, Many thanks to Si and Andrea for some more dontions, the amount is rising fast, The weather is still very hot, Betty and I went to Grenoble this afternoon and the heat was unbearable.

Wednesday and I went out for a gentle 29 mile ride in the mountains with Philip. We went the back way up to turn 6 of Alpe d'huez and then descended rather than clmb to the top. Now it's no more difficult rides until the event on Sunday. The other high spot apart from Alpe d'Huez is that I have achieved 6,000 training miles.

More great news on the donation front, they are so inspiring to receive, thankyou to clubmates Adrian and Phil (Gandalf), ex BT work colleague Ian Lovelock and to my son Ian, daughter in law Kirstie and grandchildren Jess, Ben and Libby. I have no option but to succeed on Saturday!

Two final rides on Thursday and Friday just before the big day, both 21 miles and no real exertions, saving all my energy for the Cols! Have signed on, got my number and transponder and ready to go, a special treat today too, Betty cleaned my bike for me. I wonder if that is now to be a regular occurence. Another donation too, this time from Mrs Frewin and family who have known me since I was 11 years old. Thank you very much your sponsorship is really appreciated.

Well that's it, a good meal tonight, some sleep and up early for a 7:00 am start of the ordeal.

Weekly Totals:- Miles:- Time:- hrs mins secs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John almost there! you blog has been inspirational. All of us are sure that your going to achieve your goal